Sunday, July 3, 2011

. . .'til we meet again

We've been home long enough to have some perspective on the whole experience and I want to finish this blog, have it printed into book form, put it on a shelf and look at it when I can face the tender and still raw feelings which are evoked whenever I think about things----or rather, when I think about people. It takes a blink of an eye to adjust to the ways of home. It's another thing entirely to adjust to missing people I won't be going home to. I was homesick every day for my family. I am so glad to be back to the every day life of family and friends. Right this minute my grandchildren are in my living room, at their request, having just watched "Hadjika Vadjika" and now, "Swan Lake". They just finished watching Armine make bread (on DVD), which I've tried, and which they love----Armenian bread. Mikaera just asked me to make him his own loaf for his birthday. I sang an Armenian song for the Primary today. At their request. It's kind of nice to have a little bit of Armenia affecting the people around me here, while I'm missing the people there.

The pinata is a remembrance of the Cinco de Mayo birthday party we had for Sister Hallewell, who just got home herself. We had lavosh enchiladas----not bad. But I haven't yet had my fill of real Mexican food here. We've had some mini-reunions with young elders and sisters, and will always care about their lives while they're serving, and when they come home to real life. We have served with some remarkable people. We expect great things.

This is me doing a ujanga pyramid (also known as, I think, "Downward Facing Dog") in Gagik's gorgeous new studio.
Gagik and his beautiful Naira. He thought he wasn't allowed to come to our going away party at the branch (not so----another mix up), which event was so touching and dear to my heart I thought I would just die on the spot. But he came over early the day we left, and we had one last long visit and prayers and breakfast. Then he got in the mission van and drove with us as we left town, and called us twice at the mission home. We bought yoga mats the minute we got home and have actually done it once---it's just not the same without Gagik.

We just heard of a new member in Vanadzor who had three miraculous dreams and was baptized soon thereafter. This is one of those times you know the Lord knows what's best for each individual, and yet you still can't help but secretly wish it had been Gagik's turn for a miraculous dream. This is an unfinished story for now.

BEFORE : These are what used to be benches scattered around the plaza where our branch met. We think most of the wood was missing because it was used for fuel back in the earthquake days. One rainy Sunday, during Sacrament meeting, the young members of Republican Party showed up to spiff up the plaza. In the rain they painted everything with a coat of bright red. I will let the pictures speak for themselves.
AFTER:
I didn't go to Armenia to learn feng shui, and I will always harbor a deep desire to do an extreme home makeover on the entire county.

But if I could have the deepest desire of my heart it would be to spend eternity with the people we love so much who happen to be Armenian. They would love to hadjika vadjika with my family.

This is Armine with her special ingredient for wonderful hatz. Listen carefully.


It is actually the secret ingredient for all of life. It is why our mission was such a profound experience. It is what God is.