Saturday, April 30, 2011

Zatik in Vanadzor

Here is the purple-scarfed and pocket-handkerchiefed VTab Choir having just performed for our Easter fireside. I had a lot invested in Easter this year: the choir singing five songs, one of them with harmony even, the luncheon between our meetings and the fireside ( I couldn't get them to buy into the idea of a potluck----an unheard of concept they just could not embrace. So I dyed 90 eggs dark red, brought juice and candy, and they made rice with dried grapes, and paska, and it worked out fine), giving a talk in Sacrament meeting, knowing that our little boys would no doubt all come to Primary, which they did, and just generally wanting it to be a special and peaceful day. I had memorized the Easter greeting: "Kristos hayrav i merelots", but had to peek at my notes when it was my turn to respond: "Orhnal yev harutyunuh Kristosi". I love this custom of greeting everyone on Easter with a testimony that He was indeed resurrected and the response of what a blessing that truly is.
We asked Mari to help with the boys, and armed with the inspiration I had received to "Let the little children come unto me" we did have a peaceful Primary---the little ones happily coloring a picture from the Friend, and playing with Easter story cutouts while the older ones participated in Seda's lesson. I did my entire repertoire, and then some, of finger plays, quiet games, and singing.
Ani came a little later. They live on the fifth floor---no elevator---and Ani can't walk by herself, and doesn't have a wheelchair, so it's a huge project to get to church. Her mother has a hard time understanding why her child was born with disabilities. She has been taught by several sets of missionaries. I hope she'll soon come to know for sure how much God trusted her with this lovely spirit whose purpose, I believe, is to help us learn to love as He does.

More children came later to Primary, and everyone stayed to eat our little lunch. They have an Easter custom of cracking their own egg against someone else's. How did this tradition get started? I'll tell you---I don't know. The Fireside was sweet and simple and well attended. There couldn't have been any doubt that we believe in the Living Christ and belong to His true Church.

Gagik even left a family celebration to come, so we'll reward him by ending with this video of how we begin yoga. In case it's disturbing that LDS missionaries are having a Hindu prayer let me assure you that: 1. Gagik is very sincere in his devotion to God 2. We are praying in our hearts our own prayers. 3. We pray together before and after breakfast at the end of yoga, and he prays in Armenian----LDS style. It's really groovy having our personal guru come to our home in the morning. I'll show you the one of Elder Blunck doing yujanga pyramids some other time.