Friday, April 8, 2011

ROOM WITH A VIEW


Loved President Uchtdorf's comment that someone was probably texting about no aviation references that far into his talk. I doubt very much if anyone at all has likewise missed my annual toilet post. Even so, I can't very well leave Vanadzor without making you aware of something that has gnawed at my personal sense of feng shui for well over a year. This photo was taken through the door of the small room where the potty is. It is in the entry-----if both doors were open you could see straight down the stairwell. I am a very private person in certain matters. I am very firm in my opinion that: First, all bathrooms should have a window. Second, you should not be able to see a toilet from anywhere in the house, except the bathroom itself. This is the foremost thing I will not miss about Armenia. Although I am thankful that we have one at all---don't get me wrong.

I will miss the never ending variety of shoes. Tell me the truth: I won't see anything like at home will I? Picture walking on icy rubble in a pair of these bad girls.

These photos refuse to line up----so I'll use this little spot to
add that no matter how wet and muddy the street
their shoes are always clean!!




I'll update because I know you care about these people as we do. Gagik is still coming faithfully for lessons from the two best sister missionaries in the world. Seda has been helping teach too, and she said yesterday she could feel the Spirit the minute she walked in. He fasted with us and came to all the meetings last Sunday. He even stayed for Vanadzor Tabernacle Choir. We're going to the Apostolic Church with him tomorrow. He wants to take us to the Hare Krishna ceremony of offering food to God. At his request we always pray before and after breakfast, which we serve to him after yoga. He thinks our members live the most like Christ, and that we have the best Christian church he's found. We think he's like Brigham Young who studied for two years before he was baptized. We will never give up on him, and the Lord won't either. We even mangled our bodies through a turbo-charged pilates session with his amazing wife last night just to keep the connection with him and his family strong.

It's not surprising to learn that Mari is expecting. This is ok. We still don't know if they are legally married or if Hamo has been confirmed yet. There is so much good in both of them. We just got the April Liahona, and hope the same stories are in the Ensign. It was very interesting to read about the Marshall Islanders who struggled with some similar issues before becoming strong in the Church. It was good to read about real people with real challenges. And to be reminded that the Atonement really can and will make us clean.

We delivered a keyboard to Hegine yesterday---it was a happy occasion. Now she can practice, which she immediately started to do the minute she took it out of the box. If this is the only thing I've accomplished in Vanadzor it's well worth toilets in the entry hall and the hideous music that's wafting through the ceiling at this very moment.

I still love the pioneers. I can't be thankful enough for all that Joseph and Emma endured. Did you know that her great-great-grandson, an endowed member, said that the reason she didn't go West was only because she was just too tired? Bless her dear heart, of course she was. I read the Liahona from cover to cover last night, including Elder McConkie's classic talk, and am feeling that I should end this, and get to work doing anything I possibly can to help anyone I can to marvel and be amazed that the Savior stands ready to rescue us and bring us back to our perfect heavenly home.