Monday, April 18, 2011

Shaving Anush


When Gagik showed up this morning for yoga we had to ask "Who are you and what have you done with our guru?" His 40 days of mourning for his father ended Saturday and his friends (one of whom is also named Gagik and came over from Glendale CA) took him to the barber and paid 3,000 dram to give him a shave and a haircut. One morning he came while Elder Blunck was still shaving and congratulated him----"shaving anush!" The elders once met with a member and her husband, and she had just finished a bath and informed them that they should have wished her "bath anush". "Shnorhavor" means congratulations, and I guess "anush" is more like "way to go" because "aprek" is "good job" or "thank you". They are very serious about wishing you the appropriate greetings at the appropriate time. In all earnestness they take a deep breath and wish your new grandchild "Health, happiness and a prosperous life." They have all kinds of quaint little speeches for every occasion, over and above the formal and lengthy toasts at every event. If you were taken blindfolded to a birthday party, a funeral dinner, a New Year's party, or a wedding, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, menu-wise, or activity-wise, except at one there would be a birthday cake, at one there would be no dancing, at one there would be more food, and at one someone would be wearing one of these:
Note to my girls: sorry your wedding dresses were so dowdy in comparison, but we were going for more of the Temple-ready look. And by the way, it's a good thing I took pictures of those boots last week because I went to that shop again today and they were sold out. Astonishing.


There is no theme, let alone point, to this post except to show you what I did on a rainy afternoon. I didn't have my umbrella, but I did get everything on my list done, except finding wooden Easter eggs for Sister Carter. I may have to share if they don't turn up. The inventory of wooden eggs has always been on the skimpy side, but I am estimating that for each bride in Vanadzor, there are 500 dresses on the rack at any given moment. For brides who want to look like a Barbie Doll birthday cake.